For to most up-to-date information about Smart Meters and the Smart Grid in Illinois, click to visit Naperville Smart Meter Awareness.
April 26, 2014 : The Smart Grid was NOT supposed to lead to rate hikes. However, the Smart Grid planning is behind schedule. Why? Because Ameren needs rate hikes. Read more HERE
Great article about Illinois Smart Meters and the Smart Grid HERE
DEFINITION: A “Smart Grid” is an electricity distribution network that utilizes “Smart Meters”.
DEFINITION: A “Smart Meter” is a wireless or hard-wired two-way communication device that connects your home or business and broadcasts your personal information and energy use habits to the electric grid company.
1.) The Illinois General Assembly passed “Smart Grid” Legislation. SB 1652 & HB 3036.
2.) U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005, Sec. 1252 Smart Metering, Authorizes utility companies to offer consumers time-based rates via smart meters upon customer request only. Smart Meter Document
“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
3.) More than 47 cities and counties in California have demanded a halt or have passed ordinances prohibiting “Smart Meters” due to excessive measurement errors, higher electric bills, privacy violations, fires and explosions, and commonly reported health impacts such as headaches, nausea, tinnitus, and heart problems associated with powerful wireless transmissions. Source Website
4.) California ’s largest utility has replaced “Smart Meters” with analog meters due to health reasons. Source Website
5.) Nevada ’s Public Utility Commission is investigating “Smart Meters” to allow residents to “opt-out” of this technology. Source Website
6.) Lisa Madigan states “Smart Meters” are to expensive for consumers and will increase spending $3.76 Billion dollars. Source Website
7.) Connecticut and Hawaii both rejected the smart grid project b/c it was too expensive for the ROI and lacked societal benefits. (Atty. General George Jepsen in CT on 2/8/11 urges state regulators to reject CL& P’s plan to replace electric meters b/c “the pilot results showed no beneficial impact on total energy usage” and they are not cost effective.”) Source Document
8.) Analog Meters are accurate and there is NO need to change to “Smart Meters”.
9.) “Smart Meters” cost money, which will be passed along to the consumer and are potentially inaccurate. Source Website
10.) There is NO end-to-end encryption, therefore personal data can be hacked and misused. According to Pike Research the Stuxnet worm makes electrical grids unsafe and hackers have the advantage! Source Website
11.) C.U.B. offers Com-Ed customers a FREE online assessment of their energy. We do NOT need “Smart Meters”.
12.) GAO (Government Accountability Office) identified 12/11/2011 6 key challenges in “Electricity Grid Modernization” Source Document
- Aspects of the regulatory environment may make it difficult to ensure smart grid systems’ cyber security
- Utilities are focusing on regulatory compliance instead of comprehensive security.
- The electric industry does not have an effective mechanism for sharing info on cyber-security
- Consumers are not adequately informed about the benefits, costs, and risks associated with “smart grid” systems
- There is a lack of security features being built into certain smart grid systems.
- The electricity industry does not have metrics for evaluating cyber security.
13.) According to Epic.org, Smart grid systems may be designed to allow electricity service providers, users, or third party electricity usage management service providers to monitor and control Consumers electricity use.
Further, they believe “Smart Meters” may Breach Civil Liberties in the following 14 ways:
- Identity Theft
- Determine Personal Behavior Patterns
- Determine Specific Appliances Used
- Perform Real-Time Surveillance
- Reveal Activities Through Residual Data
- Targeted Home Invasions (latch key children, elderly, etc.)
- Provide Accidental Invasions
- Activity Censorship
- Unwanted Publicity and Embarrassment
- Tracking Behavior Of Renters/Leasers
- Behavior Tracking (possible combination with Personal Behavior Patterns)
- Public Aggregated Searches Revealing Individual Behavior
- Decisions and Actions Based Upon Inaccurate Data
14.) The following article shows a partial list of Illinois General Assembly politicians who were paid by Com-Ed or Ameren prior to passing SB 1652 & HB 3036 to raise energy rates and revamp grid.
- Christine Radogno $38,000
- Kirk Dillard $19,000
- Mike Jacobs $16,750
- Dale Righter $13,930
- Antonio Munoz $13,850
- Don Harmon $11,500
- Toi Hutchinson $11,000
- James Meeks $11,000
- Bill Brady $9,500
- Annazette Collins $8,250
- A. J. Wilhemi $7,700
- Mattie Hunter $7,000
- Carole Pankau $6,350
- John Millner $6,050
15.) Health Risks of EMF/RF radiation:
16.) “Smart Meter” is fire hazard. Source Website